Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Salt Dough Ornaments

With Kaylee on Winter Break until January 1st, 2013 I knew I needed to come up with some fun things for the girls to do to keep them from getting on my nerves and from fighting with each other.  The weather is suppose to be COLD & RAINY this week so I had to figure out things for them to do indoors.  So on Tuesday 12.18.12 I decided that we would make some salt dough ornaments for our tree and to give as gifts.
On Monday night when the girls returned from Grandma's they were surprised to find that RUDY had brought us all Christmas pajamas.  The girls loved them.  On Tuesday morning I put the girls in their new jammies and we headed to the kitchen to have some FUN FUN FUN!

I got all the ingrediants out and set up.  The girls each helped pour the stuff in.  I mixed it, kneeded it and then rolled it out for the girls.  They then choose which cookie cutter they were going to use.  I then put them on a cookie sheet.  When they were all done using all the dough I put them in the oven for 2 hours.  I let them cool {while they were cooling the girls took a nap}









After nap time we didn't get around to painting the ornaments, so we made it a two day event.  I got all the stuff ready and then the girls excitedly ran into the kitchen to paint.  I feel so bad cause this was Keira's first time painting (such a bad mom!)  They both had a lot of fun paiting.

The 3 K's are for our Christmas tree for each girl.  And the rest the girls are giving as gifts to family.  Handmade gifts are the best!  I might make it a new tradition to make something for family members to give as a gift from the girls!


The girls had so much fun making the ornaments that we made them again the next day.



On Wednesday night {12.19.12} we decided to take the "whole" family including our dogs out to look at Christmas lights.  We drove around our neighborhood and stumbled upon this house!  Can we say "holy lights".  The lights on the house changed to music.  The girls thought it was the coolest thing ever.

On Thursday morning {12.20.12} after looking at my IG I saw someone had posted about making snowflakes and sending them to CT.  They are collecting snowflakes from all over the world, so that when the kids return to a different school come January they want to have set up like a Winter Wonderland in there for them.  I thought it would be a great idea to help out.  So I cut up a bunch of snowflakes and the girls colored them.  They thought it was cool to send them to the kids.  It feels really good to help these kids and to give back.

8 comments:

  1. Your ornaments turned out so cute! We made hand print ornaments with salt dough. They were fun, minus the uncooperative one year old I was working with, Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute ornaments--love the new pjs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those ornaments! We made the cinnamon ones, but I think i'm going to have to try these salt dough ones =)
    Love the girls pj's too!
    And awesome job on the snowflakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those ornaments look so neat! I think we might have to try making some at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ornaments turned out really cute!
    I just heard about the snowflakes for CT thing tonight. Such a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did these ornaments too, of their hands and the baby's foot. I think handmade gifts are the best as well. Your girls did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you mind sharing the recipe for the ornaments? I would love to make these with my boys... my two yr old LOVES crafts.

    ReplyDelete